Top 10 Grammar Books

poniedziałek, 2 kwietnia 2012

So today I would like to share my opinions on the best grammar books available. These are mostly the publications which I used when I was learning English and which I use when teaching English. So, here we go:

1. "A Practical English Grammar" by A.J. Thomson and A.V. Martinet


This is like Bible for everyone who wants to understand English grammar. The book is loaded with all the information which you will not find in a typical grammar book. It's difficult to say something bad about this book as it is a pure classic of grammar references. I believe many people had the opportunity to encounter this publication, but those who haven't done that yet really ought to do this :)

2. "Advanced Learner's Grammar" by M. Foley and D. Hall


A good reference for the advanced students of English. The theory is explained in a very detailed way, there are lots of examples so that you may really understand terribly difficult topics, but the users may not find the exercises useful. Each unit is devoted to one topic, whereas the exercises sometimes refer to the topics not studied yet. Although, this part of the book may be criticised, it is worth buying this book just for grammar tips.

3. "English Grammar in Use" by Martin Hewings



Another grammar reference for the advanced students which it is written in a very simple way making the publication extremely useful. There are many exercises which focus on the details commonly forgotten by the learners. I must admit that both my intermediate and advanced students use this book and I have never heard a bad word about it.

4. "Oxford Grammar Practice" by J. Eastwood



I am uploading the photo of the intermediate level of OGP because this is the book which I use most often in teaching. Nevertheless, each level of OGP is worth recommending to the students and teachers. What makes this book interesting is the additional CD-ROM program full of supplementary exercises. Also the paper quality is very good - some may complain it's not eco, but in my opinion one of the best ways to learn grammar is to fill the exercises using your pencil. You may always erase it and come back if you need to revise a particular topic. And this books lets you do it without the threat that you'll destroy the book using your rubber.

5. "Intermediate Language Practice" by M. Vince

Michael Vince should be well-known to all the students of English grammar. The book includes two sections: one devoted to grammar and the other one to vocabulary. Theory is not explained in the best way, as a teacher you always have to add something because you get the feeling that some information is missing. However, a good thing in this publication are the exercises. Quite difficult, but not impossible to do. A great source of revision before an important test.

6. "Pre-Intermediate Grammar" by J. Seidl


Another useful book for teachers who have a smart student (well, usually they're all smart but I mean those who learn very quickly) and want to revise some bigger part of material. The content of the book is not loaded with too many pictures (which for younger students may be a minus) but still many graphic elements appear on the pages helping them to remember important rules. 
7. "English Together" 

Coming back to the roots. My very first English course book. Recently I have found it in my room and I saw how at the age of 7 I was trying to write the 'transcription' of the words. It made me really funny. It's pretty hard for me to review this book as for me it will always be the best one simply for sentimental reasons. However, what people tend to say about this book is that it includes way more texts than other books for children. Thus, if someone is looking for a support book in reading exercises, go ahead with "English Together".

8. "Winners" 
My number one choice in teaching primary school students. Grammar rules are presented in a precise way, the graphic design is a little bit more for girls, but boys like it as well. There is one song per unit and what is important the song focuses on grammar not on vocabulary, which is a bit unique. 


9. "English Adventure" 

Written for Polish primary students, but it doesn't mean it cannot be used by the teachers in other countries. The biggest quality of this book is the connection with Disney. When I first saw it I thought that this may distract children, but I was completely wrong. They remembered everything faster as they associated particular topics with Disney characters. Fantastic songs, lots of useful materials for teachers, just buy it and you'll see.

10. "Incredible English"

The last course book (I guess there are 6 levels of "IE") I want to show is also adorable. I know that describing the grammar book as an 'adorable' may not be the best thing to do, but what I mean here is that it is the whole package for young learners of English. You'll find there good listening exercises, grammar rules, vocabulary glossaries and tasks enhancing your creativity. Good choice for teachers and parents who want to start homeschooling. 

0 komentarze:

Prześlij komentarz